Hello Lewis Family,
Together we are living through the only pandemic we have ever experienced and loneliness, uncertainty, even fear may get a foot hold. But the Good News is that God will lead us through this! Jesus is STILL at work at the crossroads and beyond! Even as we practice safe distancing and shelter in place orders, Lewis Memorial’s ongoing mission and ministry continue. Thanks to the tireless and creative efforts of our worship leaders, staff, and members, each week at LMUMC we continue to celebrate Jesus Christ as our Savior and Lord!
There are so many ways our church continues to love and serve its community: online streaming services on Sundays, live streaming daily devotionals, and online study opportunities during the week. Grant continues to meet with the youth through Zoom, Sandra is contacting all families by phone to stay in touch, and our food box is replenished to the brim every few days by generous souls.
As Lewis continues to give hope beyond the crossroads, you may wonder how we are doing financially. Here’s an update:
- As is often the case, the first quarter of 2020 was lean for the church. Contributions to the general budget averaged $41,000 per month while monthly operating costs consistently average $53,000
- The amazing news is that in spite of the adjustment to distance worship services and activities in March, our congregation maintained the giving levels of Jan/Feb, in part thanks to an unexpected one-time gift from one generous member.
- The somber news is that monthly contributions in the 1st quarter consistently lagged below operating expenses by an average of $12,000.
We know that many families face financial challenges, perhaps now more difficult than ever with the entire country embroiled in a health state of emergency. The financial struggles of the church are not new and we know we are not alone. So going forward, we want you to be aware of our needs and our plans:
- To meet our essential monthly expenses, we need approximately $50,000
- We have cut out all unnecessary expenses and will continue to look for ways to save
- We have applied for and received a Payroll Protection Plan loan offered by the federal government to help meet payroll costs over the next 8 weeks and cover some of our utility costs
- The North Georgia Conference is paying the next 3 months of health insurance for our pastor – a savings of $1,250 per month beginning in April
Rest assured that the church will continue to work faithfully to serve our congregation and community. But the truth is your faithful weekly giving is vitally important in keeping Lewis Memorial’s mission on track. We are confident that God will provide as He always has – through your generous gifts!!
There are many ways to give to help us love all and serve well.
- Continue giving weekly through your personal banking online bill pay service. This method does not cost the church or the giver any additional fee.
- Give online with a credit card or with PayPal by visiting the LMUMC website at http://www.lewisumc.org/
- Use the REALM App which is available on your mobile device.
- Mail your donation weekly through the U.S. Postal Service
Lewis Memorial United Methodist Church
5555 Hereford Farm Road
Evans, GA 30809
- Give through your Amazon purchases by using the website https://www.amazonsmile.com. Amazon donates 0.5% of the price of your eligible AmazonSmile purchases to the charitable organization of your choice. Once you login, simply enter Lewis Memorial UMC as your charity of choice.
Here’s some other good news – On April 1st the CARES Act was passed. This is the Act that created the opportunity for Lewis to participate in the Payroll Protection Program. For individuals, the Act allows a charitable contribution deduction of up to $300 for taxpayers who do not itemize deductions. For taxpayers who do itemize, 100% of your cash contributions to LMUMC may be fully deducted without regard to the usual percentage limitation.
It is not uncommon that in times of crisis, hearts become generous. People want to help during times of great need; it gives them a sense of purpose and fulfillment by being a part of something larger than themselves. We are seeing this at Lewis and are thankful for the ways we are coming together, even when we are so far apart. Because of your continued support, Lewis Memorial will continue to make a difference in the lives of our congregation and the community.
Nancy Johnson, Senior Pastor
Taylor Thompson, Chair, LMUMC GOV team
Sheryl Brown, Vice Chair, GOV team
Pamela Jackson, Treasurer